Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★½

Superheroes are meant to be rebooted.

What does it take to change how the general populous sees a fifty-five-year pop culture icon? In our current age of social consciousness and a more keen awareness of our respective places in this world, the answer is a lot, but also quite a lot. The internet has wished and demanded many things into existence (and cancellation) in a brief time, but given its nature, it can be hard to find the thread that connects all of our perspectives and universes into one clear narrative. In this weekend’s release of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, we’re presented a funny, thrilling, and often times head-spinning tale that is the culmination of a lot of internet culture, and a lot more Marvel comics.

Threading the web that connects Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse from pre-production to audiences in theaters this weekend is... surprisingly complicated. This film is not only the product of reportedly 140 animators (the largest team ever for a Sony Animated Picture) but also of clueless movie executives, North Korean hackers, White man-babies on Twitter, the cultural consciousness constantly trying to calm them down, and of course Donald Glover.

Read the full review at tylerscruggs.com