Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey ★★★★½

So bananas. These two films have always been paralleled for me - but Bogus Journey is the real deal, baby.

Let me start by giving credit where credit is due; the AMAZING William Sadler as 'Death'. He became one of my favorite character actors when I was seven years old because of his hilarious, harmless but still somehow ominous Bergman Reaper. The entire Non-Heinous Hell sequence with Satan/the Easter Bunny/Granny Preston Esquire is truly some kind of neo-expressionist mastery, playing out like one of Tim Burton's finest early moments or any given scene from 'Dr. Caligari'. The whole film toys with heavier more layered plot devices and does it most seamlessly.

I think it's failures are due to it's successor being less sophisticated, though a perfect and unapologetically wonderful dumb comedy. Bogus Journey is a far more cerebral comedic experience, one for a particular temperament. One with the openness to evil robots, the hereafter, kitschy childhood traumas and martian scientists with really big butts.

Scumbalina liked this review