2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

My goodness, what a great film. This is one of those classic films I have been meaning to see for a while now. However unlike when I finally saw Rocky and Batman 89', and others, I am happy I waited to see this one. I don't think I wouldn't have gotten as much out of it then if I had seen it when I was younger.
From the very beginning I was hooked. I loved the imagery throughout this film. The opening about the dawn of man was great. I loved how a story was told with absolutely no dialogue. Then I love the juxtaposition, going from the dawn of man to the future where humans are able to explore space. The space stuff is excellent. Also being a sci-fi fan I saw a lot of things in this movie that would go onto influence sci-fi films I like. Films like Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien and even Terminator with Hal going against the humans. By the does the music at the beginning of the Jupitar segment when the guy is running remind anyone else of the theme from Alien? It was making me think of that a bit. Also Hal is an awesome character. He's scary in that he controls the whole ship, so when he decides that the humans are a threat to the mission you know that he can and will do anything to stop them. I just love that monotone, unfeeling voice. It fits perfectly with the robot character. There is so much more I could talk about. This movie is an experience. See it. Absolutely worth a watch.

Block or Report