Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★

I still love this movie. But this time around I didn’t realize how actually hilarious this movie is. Like it’s disturbing in a lot of places but knowing what was gonna happen made everything kinda funnier just because of how absurd everything gets. Like Christian’s face from the moment he gets that mind control juice is just too perfect. And it’s honestly tragic what’s happening to him, but you can’t help it because of how absurd everything is. I caught most of what I wanted to that I felt like I missed on my first watch, so I felt satisfied for sure. And that opening sequence is just one of the most harrowing openings I’ve seen in a movie period. It’s probably in my top 5 movie openings ever. The tone, the music, the acting, the slow build of tension, it’s exactly what it needs to be and I get so many chills when it hits the snowy titlecard. And the ending sequence is just as magnificent. When a movie starts off strong and finaishes strong, you really feel like you had a complete experience. There’s a part of me that just wants to give this movie a 9/10 but something is holding me back. And I think it’s Christian and Dani’s arc with him. The resolution with their journey together doesn’t feel complete like it should and as the movie wants it to be by the end. Maybe I’ll get there one day. I just love talking about movies like this with my friends because there is so much meat to it. And now that I think of it... there’s a lot of meat in the movie as well. Hm, food for thought. Or not.

Seb liked these reviews