Lady Bird ★★★★½

Film #6 of Scavenger Hunt 34
Task #31: A film you weren't going to see until you saw it was nominated for a major 2017 award

Coming from a large family where everyone gets along pretty well meant Lady Bird presented a familiar yet new perspective on family relationships for me. I'm a person who absolutely hates confrontations, if someone starts raising their voice, be it within my own family or in another one, I'm searching for the nearest exit and drafting an excuse to leave or avoid paying attention. Yet that's not the case when family confrontations are portrayed onscreen, whenever Christine and her mother started yelling at each other I was already drawn to the moment. Seeing those characters willing to have a go at each other in a moment's notice so honestly and brutally kept making me think (the hallmark of effective art) about how I interact with my own family, which is usually in the exact opposite way. I related to the Dad so much in those scenes. I'm making a clumsy effort but what I'm trying to say is that I loved Lady Bird because it gave me insight into how radically different other lives can be to my own, which I assume is why so many here are drawn to it too. The acting, writing and direction being phenomenal helped too.

Forgot to add that the whole studying in a major city to escape small town life struck a massive chord with me too. My hometown has had stagnant population growth since the 90s because a lot of the young people take off to university and don't look back, being one of the few from my high school that stayed it was an instantly familiar attitude which I appreciated.

I'm actually wondering if it's a flaw with this film that you have to relate it to your own experience to get more meaning out of it, as in no one can look at Lady Bird and assess it purely by itself. But how many other films does that apply to? Just a thought.

Senator liked these reviews