The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

Categorizing a "good" movie is, for me, a rather dull exercise. There are way too many variables and in the end, personal taste plays much too big of a factor for any absolutes to be established. While I think the minutiae of arguing what makes a movie "good" is largely pointless, I think in the broadest of strokes, if a movie successfully makes you feel what it set out to make you feel, then it's fair to say that it is unironically good.

Which brings us to The Battle of the Five Armies, a movie that tries and fails to make its audience feel a great many things. When I first saw and reviewed this movie in 2014, I dove into great detail of all the reasons why this movie doesn't work for me - and I stand by it all. But time has a way of dulling feelings, and while I absolutely loathed this movie back in 2014, I find it almost funny to have strong feelings about it in 2020. Yes, it's a very bad movie. But at this point, I mainly feel bad for Jackson, the cast, and the crew. I do think this endeavor started with the best of intentions, but making any movie - especially of this size - is hard. There's never a guarantee that you'll successfully accomplish your goals. And after another two-and-a-half hours of staring at a screen and feeling nothing, it's safe to say that The Hobbit did not ultimately accomplish its goals.

Seth S. liked these reviews