Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day ★★★★

I mean, I know it's tradition to watch this on February 2nd but as the weather here the last couple of weeks has practically been like bloody February anyway, why the hell not.

I don't really know why it's taken me so long to rewatch this anyway, I really liked it when I first watched it donkey's years ago so I don't know. I reckon sometimes you see so many reviews of a film on here you feel like you don't need to watch stuff again sometimes because everyone else has done it for you.

I don't think it's Bill Murray's funniest film but it could certainly be his cleverest. Harold Ramis pushes the boat out early on by having Murray being over-eager to please, very quickly drawing the line between being earnest and kind, and just doing it to get the hell out of there and get a shag off Andie MacDowell.

It's also surprising how little repetition there is in this. Whenever you see clips of it, it can be misleading. Murray doesn't bump into Ned Ryerson (Stephen Tobolowsky is a treasure) all that many times, but just enough to make the point. It's more about Murray trying and failing to find answers, or at least doing so on the occasions he's trying.

And even though she does still cop a lot of criticism for her acting (which I never quite understood), MacDowell always had charm to spare in films like this. Her chemistry with Murray is superb with Chris Elliott, an underrated hand himself, great in support. Groundhog Day just remains an absolute treat and is yet more evidence that these timeloop films, when done right, have almost perplexing rewatchability.

Steve G liked these reviews