In Order of Disappearance

In Order of Disappearance ★★★★

Springcrime - The April & May Project

I think I like the cut of Hans Petter Moland's jib.

The blackly comic crime stylings of the splendid A Somewhat Gentle Man are replicated to a certain extent for In Order Of Disappearance. The difference here is that the comedy is transferred from another Stellan Skarsgård weight-of-the-world riddled character pretty much wholesale to the villains of the piece.

The comedy is also a lot darker and this is, really, more of a serious crime drama than anything. That's not to say it's not very funny in parts because it is, with the final death of the film being an outstanding piece of recalling not to mention the reaction of the wife of Skarsgård's brother when they bury him. But the comedy is not at the centre of this film, it's more off to the side like a green salad or something.

This is more or less a vigilante drama that turns rather sharply into a duel between two drugs factions that Skarsgård unwittingly puts in motion. Delightfully, Bruno Ganz pops up as the head of the Serbian side here, adding an extra touch of class to the whole film, while it's Pål Sverre Valheim Hagen as the head of the carrot juice drinking opposition gang that gets most of the film's funnier moments.

Like with the aforementioned film, there's a poignancy to it all that worked really well. Skarsgård's only reason for living is tracking down who killed his son, a fact that Moland puts across brilliantly by isolating his lead from most of the rest of the characters in this film, and there's a lot of commentary about family units here that adds a fair amount of melancholy to what is going on.

I think I have more to say about this but that's all I can contribute for now because I'm nodding off and if I leave it until tomorrow then I'll have forgotten everything and my entire review would be "Ooh snow!" But this is a really fine, splendidly acted and marvellously plotted film and I hope that Moland has plenty more of them where they came from. And he can put Skarsgård in all of them as far as I'm concerned.

🇵🇱 Steve G liked this review