Monster Hunter

Monster Hunter ★★★½

The 2021 Catch-Up Project

He did it. The crazy son of a bitch actually did it.

Paul WS Anderson finally made another film that didn't make me want to piss on a railway line. It only took him 19 years but still!

Monster Hunter was actually fun. Genuine actual fun. The usual Anderson issues I have are that the action scenes are incomprehensible, the dialogue is shit, the story makes no fucking sense, it's stupid, it's boring, it's him making fan fiction for his beautiful wife. But none of these are really the case here! Well, the last one still applies, in fairness.

Nobody says a great deal, which is a GREAT start. He doesn't actually bother with the story because it's from a video game and they never look good in a film. And it's just constantly in motion, meaning that it never has a chance to be boring. Milla is as good as ever doing stuff like this (she's had plenty of practice by now, obviously) and Tony Jaa gets a really good sized role and gets given plenty of his trademark stuff to do.

The monsters are fairly nondescript, I guess, and the ending is too much of a 'To Be Continued' for my liking but considering I was braced for pure hatred, this has to go down as one of the nicest surprises of the year. Holy fucking shit.