The Thing

The Thing ★★★★★

There are only really two things wrong with The Thing.

1) Its title. I've never been a fan of it. It's just so inconsequential and getting the cast to say "thing" a lot does not excuse it! Funnily enough, it seemed to fit the original a lot better (albeit extended and exaggerated), but that was from a decade populated with daftly named sci-fi films. This really did deserve a lot better. I thought the name of the source story, Who Goes There?, was far better and more fitting. Or they could have called it 'It's Weird And Pissed Off Whatever It Is'. A much better summing up!

2) The opening scene where we see the flying saucer hurtling towards the Earth. I just don't think that we needed that bit at all. I think it would have been better if they had just left us in slight doubt as to just what those Norwegians had discovered under the ice. It's just a bit pointless.

Oh, and one more thing:-

3) Why did Ennio Morricone come on board to do the score for this and end up doing a score that sounded exactly the kind of thing that Carpenter would have done himself? Don't get me wrong, he does a great job but Carpenter could have saved himself some cash.

You see, this review is a product of having watched and loved this film so many times that you run out of good things to say about it and instead go digging around for entirely superfluous negatives and irrelevant points to go on about instead. If I had kept on down this path I would have ended up pointing out how much Windows looks like Macho Man Randy Savage and ask why MacReady busts his chess computer one week into winter.

So I'll shut up now. Except to say this is still easily one of the greatest horror films of all time and one of my top 10 of all time.

🇵🇱 Steve G liked these reviews