Landscape in the Mist

Landscape in the Mist ★★★★★

The only other Angelopoulos film I've seen is The Travelling Players, which was two years ago, pretty much. I remember hearing somewhere that under a Capitalist system, people trust each other less, and I might be grasping at straws here, but I feel like that's what Angelopoulos is getting at here. After Voula gets assaulted by that truck driver (or whatever happens, since the event is obscured inside the truck while the camera is outside looking at a closed curtain), she keeps her distance from men, even from Orestes, who is a very trustworthy and kind adult in a world where everyone is too busy helping themselves to put themselves out there for the children. Even then, Orestes has to look out for his own skin at the expense of the children based on the society they're living in, which is one of the saddest parts of the movie for me.

Voula's strongest moment is when she gets the courage to ask the soldier by the train station for money, and it's the first time that she is able to scare an adult man away where normally it was the other way around. A moment of triumph for Voula, even if she didn't get the money (which she does), she was able to face someone that she probably didn't trust to begin with in order to try and get what she and her brother needed.

John liked this review