Dunkirk

Dunkirk ★★★★★

There's no hiding from this, son.

My most anticipated movie of the year, and man, it did not disappoint. Dunkirk is easily Christopher Nolan at his best. This is a bleak, gripping, and exciting war movie that kept me glued to my seat for the entire runtime. Harry Styles, surprisingly is fantastic in this movie. A lot of people were worried when he was casted into the role, but as the eyes of the audience, he works incredibly well. The rest of the ensemble are great as well; Tom Hardy and Mark Rylance being the two standouts, but nobody lags in this. While Styles is first in the cast listing, there's no main character per se, rather it's about all of the Allied who fought for their lives. There is very little dialogue in this movie; the plot advances by subtle visual and audio cues, the timing of the shots, and the brilliant score done once again by Hans Zimmer. On top of nailing the atmosphere of a barren war zone, Dunkirk's action is on point. It's not as exciting as Saving Private Ryan or Glory, but it still offers the same emotional impact as the two. Your heart will drop when you hear the machine gun of an enemy plane in the distance. My only real issue with this movie is, while the character of the Allied is engaging, and I cared enough about each of them, their characters aren't interesting on their own. All they have is personalities, and that's it; no backstory, no intrigue. But as I said, Dunkirk is about the troops as a group, so I could easily overlook this. Overall, Dunkirk is an exceptional entry in Nolan's filmography.  Exciting, engaging, and edge-of-your-seat suspenseful, it's the best war film of the modern era, and one of the best of the year so far.

10/10