Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★

“Well-crafted, well-nurtured, and boasted film. Judas and the Black Messiah relies on its strong and evoking premise along with an excellent cast. A relevant even today story and nervy biopic.”

A look at life chairman of Black Panther Party, Fred Hampton (Daniel Kaluuya), the film was in production for some time now. Judas And The Black Messiah also works as a companion piece to 2020’s Trial of Chicago7 since stories are intertwined if you ask me. There is much connection but I liked how both movies played on similar timelines. I always adored watching films regarding African American racism. Such films are strong in their message which provides to experience one-of-a-kind direction, dialogues, and performance. Judas and the Black Messiah is about how the FBI infiltrated BPP with help of Bill O’Neal (LaKeith Stanfield) on the orders of Edgar Hoover. It is one of the great films of 2021, a strong cast, performance, script, and direction makes up for a fine movie. The film is far from being a masterpiece but it's one of the greatest definitely. The interpretations of both Daniel Kaluuya who played Fred Hampton and LaKeith Stanfield who played Bill O'Neal were simply amazing and I believe they elevated the movie. Another good interpretation that has to be mentioned was Jesse Plemons' who played Roy Mitchell, the FBI agent who recruits and makes Bill infiltrate. The performances are on the high deal in Judas and the Black Messiah. I didn’t found any flaw in that department whether it's the main lead or the supporting cast. We will be hearing the names of Daniel Kaluuya, LaKeith Stanfield, and even Jesse Plemons during the award season this year since they deserve the praise. I'd say the first hour is a little slow but the second half ramps up rapidly and it's not until you get to the final credits and you see the archived video of the actual people involved that it hits you how real this was. One of the best parts is the speeches of Fred, they are so powerful and evoking. The film’s tone is invariant, direction and sense of tone are both also great, showing an outstanding sense of dramatic tension. While the film's pacing can sometimes be a bit uneven, the film's narrative is overall finely crafted. Overall, Judas and the Black Messiah is powerful, insightful, and relevant even today, the biopic works as a feature film as well. But it’s the performances of the cast, specially Kaluuya to watch out for in the film.

Bonus
Daniel Kaluuya as Fred Hampton. Cast performance. Direction. Powerful Screenplay.

Block or Report