Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Terminator 2: Judgment Day ★★★★★

“When we talk about sequels James Cameron Terminator 2 The Judgment Day surely will rank on the tops easily. Even after years after its release T-2 holds the same ominous and bludgeoning power and feminist ferocity. Cameron, Hamilton, and Schwarzenegger provide one of the most iconic films to date, this has solidness throughout its technical aspects.”

I'm not a fan of Sci-fi movies because they can rarely be made in such way that they can be looked at as works of art. Terminator 2 Judgement Day is one of the few exceptions. The prediction of judgment day with Linda Hamilton watching a playground full of kids be burnt to the ground is an absolutely brilliant portrayal of Armageddon. The theme that men will destroy themselves is also shown throughout the movie also and is even said by The Terminator It's in your nature to destroy yourselves". This brings the movie to a whole new level of sci-fi. This is the finest action movie of all time. And, yet, believe it or not, it's not the action in the film itself that makes this be the case. It is an excellent screenplay and performances. James Cameron once against returns as director-writer for one of the greatest sequels ever. He lets loose here, filling every frame with hard-boiled action and special effects. He introduces a liquid metal Terminator that he wanted to use in the first film, but graphic processors and CGI were not advanced enough in 1984, at least not advanced enough to work on the low means he had to film the original. So his original dream is finally unveiled, and good golly is it wonderful. The special effects are incredible beyond belief. The shape-shifting T-1000 is some of the greatest animations I have witnessed in cinema history. It absolutely blew my mind when I first experienced this visual extravaganza. The animation looked so real(remembering this was a good ten years). The movie included fast-paced action along with some clever sci-fi drama/horror. The idea of a vast army of machines taking over the world after sending off warheads to every major city should be scary enough. But the T-1000 has very little lines and is just creepy enough to make twitch when you see him. The film’s outstanding special effects and filmmaking earn the movie 6 Oscar nominees in almost all technical categories. Terminator 2 won four of those six nominees including Best Special Effects. The story, of course, deals with Arnold Schwarzenegger returning from the future to protect a boy, John Connor (Edward Furlong) who will someday lead the human resistance against a world run by machines in the future. I have seen this film countless times, and have been rewarded by the special effects each viewing. When I first saw it, every effect was cutting edge. There was no shaky came for the action, everything about the action sequence was crisp and detailed. There was nothing like it and that was part of why it T-2 is the greatest sci-fi movie ever. Since that time effects have jaded viewers. While the establishing and pioneer special effects of T2 are impressive however I believe it was Steven Speilberg’s Jurassic Park which really paved the way for mainstream usage of CGI in movies. The movie brings Brad Fiedel to give us not only his signature synthesizers but also to give a new orchestral arrangement for the heroic tone of the movie. His score is fantastic, and the music fits the right places at the right moments. I cannot talk about T-2 and not praise Schwarzenegger, who provides so realistic performance as half-human and half-robot. His role is completely different from the predecessor, where he was a villain but in T-2 he is the good guy. The acting is better than any I've ever seen from any sci-fi film. Linda Hamilton is by far the best actress in this film. I am very sorry to say that she never went anywhere after this excellent film. Arnold actually is very good in this film and manages to play the stoic, but an increasingly human father figure to John Connor. The end is so great as well, its damn emotional. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It is that moving also adds Linda Hamilton monologue over it just makes it perfect. If this franchise ended right with this film, I'd have no complaints. The films beyond this entry are still fun but the emotional impact and sincere humanity behind this movie and its predecessor have not been matched. But somehow producers said let's go for the franchise and make money. Believe me, we have so many sequels after this that just could cut. T-2 set pretty high standards and no sequel has filled those shows even after 30 years of series. Overall T-2 sits pretty with greatest sequels of all time such as Aliens, GodfatherPartII and Star Wars Empire Strikes Back. It perfectly sets a prime example of being a great and solid movie.

Bonus
Solid Arnold Schwarzenegger's performance. Score. Special effects. Screenplay and direction.