Avengers: Infinity War ★★★

Absolutely none of the emotional beats land and there is no real gravitas throughout, despite painstaking (failed) efforts by the script and score. The actors try their darnedest, and I actually think most do about as well as they can given the circumstances. The movie’s also overly long, and has no real conclusion beyond faux despair.

Yet it still kinda works? Infinity War is a classic comic book crossover event, where the fun isn’t so much wondering if the heroes will win (they always win) but the novelty of these pairings and groupings. The other hallmark of the crossover is the age-old “everything will be different after this” ruse, which strikes me as more real in the MCU than it does in print, if only because these movies take forever to make and actors don’t stay young forever.

In order to get to that next phase, we will undoubtedly have to wait for the untitled-but-still-clearly-just-part-2 sequel. I’d say I can’t wait, but that would be a lie. I will certainly go see it, however.

shaunline liked these reviews