Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal

Wow, I’m blown away by this film and don’t know if my words can articulate my admiration for what I have just watched. Sound of Metal is not only a story of loss and heartbreak, but it is most importantly about acceptance. This whole film was an emotional rollercoaster, and that last 30 minutes felt like a gut punch as we see Ruben finally beginning to accept what has happened.

I’m not one to pay attention to the less discussed technicalities of a film's success. However, the sound design for Sound of Metal was incredibly unique, and its incorporation into the film made the audience that much more connected to Ruben’s circumstances. Ahmed gives an amazing performance worthy of awards praise. I was also really impressed with Cooke and Raci as they make a positive impression alongside Ahmed. Additionally, the script, directing, and cinematography were all impressive and made the film more accomplished than it already was. So, Sound of Metal was an immersive experience in the best and worst ways as we (the audience) follow the journey of someone whose life is falling apart. I may have missed the initial wave when people first started seeing this, but I’m so glad that I caught it now.

Shawn liked these reviews