Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ★★★

Had tickets to see this live sometime this month that got cancelled because of Covid, so I decided to pull this up on netflix instead. I kinda liked it but nothing really stood out for me.

I think the cast is good. I don't hate Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter in this one. Alan Rickman is good. Sacha Baron Cohen is good. I like the setting and the sets used in this movie. I kinda like the general premise of a musical about a super dark serial killer. I thought a few of the songs were alright.

But in terms of musicals... there's no song that really stands out to me. Most musicals have at least one song that I'll fall in love with or at least get stuck in my head, but the music in this is pretty forgettable. Also I find the story a little disappointing. The plot is similar to something like Count of Monte Cristo, but MC involves elaborate schemes of revenge against three men who framed him and this is like the same but not creative haha. He just tricks three men into his barber chair and kills them all in the same way. Also the ending is way too bleak and resolves nothing. The twist with the homeless woman is great but like what about the sailor or Johanna? I really wish Johanna would've confronted her father or the sailor would've killed Todd to save Johanna or something.

Yeah, I don't know. There are definitely moments I like and time went by pretty fast while watching this, but nothing really stood out and the ending is not my favourite. It's fine for what it is.

Sheldon liked these reviews