Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name ★★★★★

“but to make yourself feel nothing, so as not to feel anything — what a waste.”

i haven’t watched this masterpiece of a film in full since january and i knew that my mum really wanted to see it so we decided to watch it tonight and not to be dramatic but i honestly fell in love with it all over again, so here’s my attempt at reviewing it...

there is so much beauty in simplicity and call me by your name does an impeccable job at capturing this visually through stunning cinematography + delicate (and often poetic) dialogue. timothée chalamet and armie hammer are absolutely phenomenal both together and individually and emote so much vulnerability and passion into their performances. michael stuhlbarg is also incredible and delivers one of the most brilliant monologues that warms my heart every time.

breathtaking, heartbreaking & captivating are a few words that i’d use to describe this film, but at the same time i don’t think many words really do it justice. it’s truly one of the most beautiful and utterly raw love stories in cinematic history and i will forever stand by that statement. it’s also one of the only films out there that can make me feel a range of different emotions — happiness, sadness, comfort, empathy.

to end this review, here’s some of my mum’s commentary that i can recall. enjoy!

[elio rides bike] her: “fit boy in italy”
“this film isn’t very medically correct”
• she said this after she saw how elio treated his nosebleed (using ice, kinda tilting his head back when he was laying on the couch, swimming afterwards)
“no wonder he got that wound, he doesn’t ride his bike properly”
• she said this during that shot when oliver wasn’t holding onto the handlebars and it looked like he was riding a unicycle
“is he going to get on the train with him??”
“elio lounges around a lot, reminds me of someone” she was referring to me and i was mildly offended lmao ok that is all.

i have so much love in my heart for this film. 🍑

❀ nicole ❀ liked these reviews