Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' ★★★★

Part of Dragon Ball, Ranked

“The first time we fought I made mistakes and you caught me off guard. To ensure that won’t happen I’m going to take my final form from the start!”

I did actually see this one back when it came out in theatre and, not knowing the Dragon Ball continuity at the time, it was more of a nostalgic throwback than engagement with the story and yeah it was pretty good. I had no idea what was going on half the time but I still recognised most of the players even if I didn’t know why things were the way they were (like why Gohan had a wife and kid).

This time around I really appreciated the story elements that the film leverages and really enjoyed it. There’s definitely less Goku and Vegeta here but the rest of the Z crew (even Master Roshi!) get a nice showing of their powers as actually pretty great fighters, just that Goku and Vegeta go up against crazy powerful guys who dwarf everyone. Still you get some fun time seeing the Pilaf crew get their wish finally and Freeza gets to have some fun too. The flights pretty are nice too and there’s definitely a thrill seeing Goku, Vegeta, and Feeza face off again in a remix of the old classic with new forms on both sides. I also enjoy the wrinkles in Vegeta and Goku’s friendship too!

Not quite as energetic as Battle of Gods and definitely a little more reliant on nostalgia as a crutch but if any series has earned it, it’s Dragon Ball. Resurrection F is comfort food for fans but it’s shiny feature length comfort food and pretty tasty.

Alex liked these reviews