Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★

I am a revolutionary, I am a revolutionary!

Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield in one film? I’m already in regardless. I do love a good drama and betrayal story. Martin Sheen and Jesse Plemons are in this too. Lakeith Stanfield I like in everything, he has this screen presence and here he’s a joy to watch. Daniel Kaluuya again gives another engaging performance, he’s interesting to watch in everything, there are lot of monologue speeches that Kayula has and he delivered every single one effortlessly. I hope they’re not snubbed for their performances. I really like the title, it tells you everything you need to know about the plot. Ashton Sanders the teenager protagonist from Moonlight is in this, that was a nice surprise.

It was shot really well, I liked a lot of the framing and heavy use of close ups particular in the monologue scenes, there was a lot of over the shoulder shots too which I liked emphasising the character’s point of view. The lighting is really good in every scene. The blend of a biopic with a crime thriller was cool, I liked this approach a lot, the final scene is great. As much as this is a true story, I’m not as impressed with the film as others are, it didn’t really do much for me, overhyped for me. It was good but the performances are the best thing about it for me.

2021 ranked

Fun fact: Daniel Kaluuya, LaKeith Stanfield previously worked together in Get Out (2017)

ART3MIS liked these reviews