Synecdoche, New York

Synecdoche, New York ★★★★★

I know how to do it now. There are nearly thirteen million people in the world. None of those people is an extra. They're all the leads of their own stories. They have to be given their due.

Synopsis: A theatre director struggles with his work, and the women in his life, as he creates a life-size replica of New York City inside a warehouse as part of his new play.

A very ambitious, deep drama that is a huge character study following Hoffman’s character for years (almost Shakespearean in a way) This is Hoffman’s best performance ever, I liked how real and raw this film is, the theatre aspect is why I watched it, I really like it when theatre is in films Birdman I loved and loved this too, enjoyed Michelle Williams in this a lot! Liked the divorce, bad relationship side to this, really nice soundtrack, the authentic theme was stuck in my head, really nice strings. This film is not for everyone, it’s story follows one character throughout their life and creating a play, that’s all there is to it, just great directing and acting overall, never seen anything quite like this.

Fun fact: This film is a directional debut

ART3MIS liked these reviews