Whiplash

Whiplash ★★★★½

Whiplash sings like it's dying. Scene so pure and sharp it hurts. The first beat. The first time you see Andrew, the way he apologises, twice. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. No, stay.

The first time you see Fletcher. No, stay. The slam of the door when he leaves. Fletcher saying oopsie daisy. The way you stop breathing when Fletcher walked in, and then every time he makes a fist. The look on Andrew's face when Elmer Fudd is getting kicked out.

How it's a little terrified but almost hungry at the same time. Bandaids are never enough to heal. There’s always a wound underneath. Fletcher being so sweet with the little girl, it hurts. I will fuck you like a pig. Push too far, you bleed. Don't forget to turn Neiman's pages. Andrew smiling to himself.

That dinner table conversation. They’ll make great school board presidents. Catch on quick. I’d rather die drunk, broke at 34 and have people talk about me than live to be rich and sober at 90 and nobody remember who I was. Don't worry about Fletcher.

He’s all bark and no bite. And how you can see how jealous Andrew is, that the new kid is telling him something about this person he knows so blatantly worships, how he craves and hates him at the same time. Already losing. So much intimacy.

Andrew breaking up with Nicole. How I sympathised with him more than her and that’s when I realised this was fucked up. Blood in ice. If you're still breathing, you're dead. Fletcher crying.

Andrew crying. Fever notes. Don't you know there is nothing more important to me than you? Fist in the drum skin. Crash. Andrew dropping the sticks. How you need him to keep playing. How he fails.

How it hurts. That jerk when Fletcher sees Andrew again at the cafe, everything he says that has you nodding, I will never apologise for how I tried. I know it was you. I'll cue you. The way you can't see Fletcher smile after Andrew's solo, only his eyes. Almost as if it's too much.

If you blink, we go back to the start. Nieman, just do your best. Eyes open now. Here we go. Whiplash.

Shreya liked these reviews