The Panic in Needle Park

The Panic in Needle Park ★★★★

"You know what you are?
"What am I?"
"You're my girl. Right?

Gloomy, bleak, melancholy and drenched in imminent tragedy that is ever-ongoing and not material at the same time, The Panic in Needle Park is a quiet and intense portrayal of young love plagued by abuse, violence and tormented by the shadow of a debilitating drug addiction. This film features an adorable, young and understated baby-faced pre-Godfather Al Pacino and Kitty Winn in her debut performance.
The screenplay, writing, and performances in this film took my breath away and I felt so blessed to be able to bask in the greatness of Al Pacino's talent.
Trigger warnings for graphic scenes of drug abuse and domestic violence should you choose to watch it.
This film is heartbreaking and anxiety-inducing which cement Pacino as a powerhouse performer of much more than crime movies. The underlying pathos, naïve early romanticism and the dreadful wake up call of reality make The Panic in Needle Park a worthy, albeit not always easy, watch.
I wish I get to read the screenplay of this film. I bet there's a lot to learn from how Joan Didion and John Gregory Dunne wrote an empathetic and complex world inhabited by people who are unfortunately all too human.

Adding this to my Anatomy of a Romance list