Cherry

Cherry ★★★½

The first half hour or so of this film (The Prologue and first two chapters) are fucking amazing. It's like watching a Guy Ritchie film made by the Russo brothers, I'm bound to really like that. It's a certain vibe I thought I'd be getting out of this movie and I was certainly correct... until chapter 3 starts and Cherry 'fumbles the bag' like my buddy James Gray (and my other buddy Gucci Mane)

The second half isn't bad by any means. It's depressing as shit, and very effective, and good commentary on the vets and all that, but it's not the movie I wanted to see. Without sounding like an asshole, this movie just becomes less interesting when it becomes more serious. And believe me, the bank heist stuff is fucking awesome but it has to share screen time with the heroin plot.

The one dollar bill with the threats written on it, I can't explain myself but that is some striking and poppy imagery and we needed more of that, and I thought I was getting more, but I just didn't. And excuse my verbeage here but the last 10 minutes or so becomes unbearably pretentious and the total opposite of the stuff from the beginning.

Like I said, it's not bad, it's just not the movie I wanted to see based on the first half hour or so. Tom Holland does good, the editing is pretty good, the cinematography is really fucking good, and I just like how the movie looks. Sue me.