Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★★

I will confess, I am not a Marvel fan. Aside from the first Iron Man, I've always felt that the studio was more interested in setting up future sequels than bringing an exciting and enjoyable piece of pop entertainment. However, I was interested in James Gunn's new film, mostly because of the off-kilter style and the retro coolness of it all.

Needless to say, Guardians of the Galaxy is still a Marvel film following its trademark formula. Its endings are still happy, the battles are still dull and poorly framed (particularly in this outing) and the villains are still as paper-thin as ever. Yet, Guardians of the Galaxy is partially saved with the incredible chemistry and comic timing by our main team; who are all performing at the top of their game.

If you aren't a fan of Marvel as I am, I can honestly say that this new franchise comes recommended. The wit, humor, timing and locations are more than enough to give your inner-12 year old some satisfaction. However, it may be hard for others to overlook the tiring formula that Marvel is wearing out.

Fast.

Oh, and anything with Groot and Rocket Raccoon was perfection.

Edit: I bumped this up to a four just because of the exceptional fun factor on display. Yes, the Marvel formula is still there, but there are many moments that make you forget that you are watching one of those conveyor-belt movies.

SilentDawn liked these reviews