Inception

Inception ★★★★★

Part Three Of Preparing (As Much as Humanly Possible) For Interstellar

The true mastery of Inception lies in its ability of combining pop entertainment with a stylish and artful execution. For every explosion and wonderfully loud gunfight, there's another moment of passionate drama and dreamy pathos. Truly, Inception is a film for everyone. Action, drama, humor, suspense, story, emotion; It's got everything. Plus, if you're like me and you're looking for some deeper subtext, you could write an entire thesis on Nolan's film and how he discusses dreams, layers, guilt, and the subconscious emptiness of the mind.

Basically, Inception is another Nolan masterpiece.

Christopher Nolan's direction is just as fluid and classy as ever, highlighting the instabilities of the dream world as well as fueling the emotional instabilities of the characters. As a result, It's Nolan's most chaotic film in terms of directional flourish, but it's done to great effect; especially in moments where the audience is taken away from the action.

Wally Pfister's cinematography is rather cold and detached here, but it culminates in a look that feels just as mysterious and unpredictable as the film's narrative. From cold mountain ranges to a collapsed wasteland, the film's locations only heighten the crazily sharp look that Wally Pfister brings to Inception.

Christopher Nolan's screenplay might be the highlight of the whole film, regardless of how excellent the rest of the film is in about every department. While being a classy blockbuster at its core, the film weaves themes and ideals to such a layered degree that the emotional center is incredibly potent. Questions are raised, mainly regarding dreams and the repressed consequences of guilt, and then Nolan proceeds to answer these questions in the most complex and kick-ass way possible.

The cast, from Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page, to Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, and Marion Cotillard; even Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy make appearances. Simply put, this cast is awesome, and every actor makes the best of their screen-time. Although, in spite of the numerous great performances throughout, it's the conversations between DiCaprio and Cotillard that hammer home the emotional force and passion of the film as a whole.

Hans Zimmer's score, at this point, is iconic. I remember distinctly seeing this on the biggest screen that I could on opening day, one with a blaring and thunderous sound system. As soon as the film started, I knew I was in for an aural masterpiece, and I couldn't have been more right. It's a soundtrack that's one of Zimmer's best, and that's no small feat.

Overall, Inception is a feverish and roaring masterpiece by Christopher Nolan, and again; It's one of his very best.

SilentDawn liked these reviews