Interstellar ★★★★★

Going to a film in a theater is an experience. Regardless if the film is good or bad, a masterpiece or a failure; when the house lights go down, something magical occurs. The audience is taken to new places, they discover new ideas or feelings, and every few decades or so, a film can shake your inner-being to your core.

Interstellar shook my inner-being to my core. I'm not kidding, exaggerating, or being hyperbolic; this film put me in a state that can only be described as transcendent, religious even. Seeing this in 70mm IMAX only magnified that transcendent experience, and I wish I could describe my joy, love, adoration, delight, jubilation, and utter bliss that Interstellar brought to me.

I'll try.

Simultaneously combining Spielbergian warmth with Kubrickian opaque mystery; Christopher Nolan's magnum opus astonishingly tells a story of intimate love and connection set against a backdrop of vast discovery and uncertainty. Never losing sight of constant themes that interweave throughout, the film tells a story of potent beauty and understated clarity, culminating in a work that never lets go of its big heart and its wild ambition.

All of the performances are uniformly spectacular, especially from Matthew McConaughey, Mackenzie Foy, and Anne Hathaway. McConaughey in particular brings his finest performance yet, unleashing a sensational amount of emotion that is necessary for establishing the film's infinite core. The scenes with him and Foy are beautiful, sublime, and simply stupendous; mainly because of the underlying layers that widen in retrospect. Anne Hathaway quietly stuns, with a prime example being a monologue on love that had me quietly weep to myself in my seat.

Really, It all comes down to if you respond to the film's emotional core. Sure, I understand some of the criticisms, but I didn't have any of those problems. While everyone is saying its flawed in some way, I actually found it to be kinda flawless. The usual problems that I have with Nolan's work, such as exposition and pacing, are not found here. In many ways, this is Nolan as he's come full circle, coming back from a Superhero trilogy to tell something original again.

The direction by Christopher Nolan is beyond words. The wide-shots, the close-ups, the alien landscapes; the film is visually orgasmic. Trust me, you've never seen stars look so real. Hoyte Van Hoytema's cinematography is Oscar-worthy. Forget Phister, we don't need him anymore. The way the camera flows, combined with the slick editing by Lee Smith, makes up a visual EXPERIENCE that is easily the most visually stunning film EVER made.

Yeah, I went there.

Yet, It's the addition of Hans Zimmer's soundtrack that elevates the film into the stratosphere of modern cinema. Instantly becoming my favorite soundtrack of all time, and definitely one of the finest ever produced; Zimmer's work here is utterly holy and divine. Pairing with the immaculate imagery, the film releases a poetic feeling of tenderness and sterile majesty; highlighting our insignificance in the universe but our determination to overcome our limitations.

The story is the finest aspect of this breathtaking work. A journey of the most mind-blowing and impressive order; Christopher Nolan asks the audience to take a leap of faith to explore love, connection, intimacy, and the lengths we go for not just others, but all of humanity. I feel that many wanted this to be a trippy sci-fi puzzle, and while those elements are certainly present, It's all about a relationship between Father and Daughter. Nolan takes the most ambitious genre, hard science-fiction, and uses it to discuss why we love, and how love will get us further than anything else in our lives. It's wholly satisfying, pure, sweet, and stupendously emotional.

As a stumbled out of a 70mm IMAX screening (which I drove 6 hours for I might add), I was in a daze. An utter daze. I could barely walk straight. All I could think about was who I loved, why I loved them, and how their love has changed me as a human being. I periodically cried throughout the whole film, but it not until a few minutes ago that the film finally hit me. The tears, the feelings, the love; It all poured out in a moment of personal beauty and cathartic wonder. Like I said, I had a religious experience with this film.

At the end of the day, It's up to you if you like a film or not, and in my eyes; Interstellar is the finest cinematic achievement that I have ever seen. Blending humanity with the far outreaches of space, and mixing a sense of connection with an endless void of lost memories; Christopher Nolan's masterpiece might be the finest film ever made in terms of weaving an ambitious tale that doesn't forget about the focus.

Love.