The Handmaiden ★★★★★

Here's some haphazard thoughts until I see this fucking thing *at least* 5 more times:

1. Chan-Wook Park's sense of control, of timing, of maneuvering around spaces equally expansive and confined is exquisite. Just exquisite.

2. The Handmaiden, if nothing else, is wild (ie: over-the-fucking-top, bonkers, insane) from beginning to end. You just don't see it right away.

3. Male gaze is reflective; confidence in kinks and sexual luridness never wavers.

4. Tasty in so many ways. A mirage of flavors and twists and turns jumbled up in a house of horrors/pleasures.

5. I can't wait to pair this with Passion for a future double-feature.

6. Mise en scène is scrumptious almost to the point of ridiculousness, but Park never lets it fully off the leash. He allows the inherent garish audacity to tip itself over the edge.

7. Speaking of which, when it finally does tumble down into maximum perversion, it's like an extended climax of visual/aural audacity: an orgasm for the senses.

8. I can't even count on my fingers the number of times I thought "ok here we go" only to have Park sideswipe me into another direction.

9. Don't you dare say 2016 has been a bad year for movies. Because it's hasn't been.

10. This is a film for the pervert in all of us.

Alternate title: "69 Doors, 69 Mysteries"

SilentDawn liked these reviews