Tenet

Tenet ★★★

John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki and Kenneth Branagh star in this science fiction action thriller written and directed by Christopher Nolan, about a secret agent who attempts to save the world by manipulating time.

It was amazingly put together, with the central ideas feeling really different and original. I definitely enjoyed the second half much more, as the film had set up its premise and was able to explore it to thrilling effect, with lots of mindbending moments. However, it took me a while to really get invested in the story, as quite a lot of earlier moments relied on exposition and felt kind of flat.

Also, the characters, with the exception of Debicki’s Kat, were quite one-dimensional and underdeveloped, with lots of dialogue meant to establish the relationships feeling slightly trite and cliched.

The film really comes alive in the action sequences, though, which are incredibly well crafted, and I enjoyed the film, even if it felt a bit too detached and convoluted.

Josh liked these reviews