The Last Duel

The Last Duel ★★★★

While the "Rashomon", multi-perspective format isn't new I did find it interesting how Scott made the 3 different perspectives play off each other. Damon is clearly established as the supposed protagonist at the beginning of the film. When it shifted to Driver, I assumed he would be shown as an equally honorable person, even if misguided and willfully ignorant to his actions. However, Scott went the other direction and clearly showed him as a vile and guilty man. The twist I didn't suspect as much was Comer's perspective to show that Damon was also horrible, if not more repugnant than Driver. I thought this did a great job of highlighting the ability for the dominance of male perspective in recounting history, both on a large or more intimate scale, to cloud the truth of how events actually occurred. Allowing a whole section of people's experiences, feelings, and thoughts to be excluded from consideration doesn't just leave the story incomplete, but paints it in an entirely different light. Probably the most haunting and clear example of this is the penultimate scene of the movie where Damon strides through the town, being heaped with praise and regaining fame and notoriety because HIS WIFE WAS RAPED. How something so devastating and tragic for Comer could be used as a catapult for Damon's life is such a sad and honest reflection on the long history of women's place in society.

Outside of all that, I thought most of the technical aspects were good to great. The acting was good, Comer stealing every scene once the third act hit and it finally became her story. Either intentionally or accidentally poetic, Comer is sidelined for a bit too much of the movie to give time to Damon and Driver's development. It would've been a bit more interesting to see some more dialogue and reflection from Comer's POV.