20,000 Days on Earth

20,000 Days on Earth ★★★★★

"In the end, I am not interested in that which I fully understand. The words I have written over the years are just a veneer. There are truths that lie beneath the surface of the words, truths that rise up without warning, like the humps of a sea monster, and then disappear. What performance and song is to me is finding a way to tempt the monster to the surface, to create a space where the creature can break through what is real and what is known to us. This shimmering space, where imagination and reality intersect, this is where all love and tears and joy exist. This is the place. This is where we live."

I'd give anything to come out in the cold sweat I came out in when watching the final 10 minutes of this in the cinema almost two years ago, but goddamn, I feel I've come full circle back to that. Becoming gradually more and more invested in Cave as a person and an artist over time, this fantastic musing on the creative process is a wonderfully intangible collection of golden nuggets with a whopping dollop of catharsis splattered on top. I honestly don't know how I'm going to cope with One More Time With Feeling. I'll be ripped apart.

Block or Report