Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul ★★½

Watch count: 1

"Trust me, this vacation was far from perfect" Just like the movie, Greg. Just like the movie.

To be honest, I was surprised how much fun I had with this one as much bad things I've heard about it. I grew up reading the books and the first three movies (haven't watched in a little while) are excellent. However, the change in the cast is so different, it hardly feels like a Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie. Yes, I did have a few laughs and there were quite a few appropriately cringe moments that reflect what this book/movie series is supposed to carry, but with the new cast and direction they took with the story, this movie just felt like it was a knock-off version that had just enough for people to know what they were copying.

It's unfortunate they couldn't reuse the same cast once the original cast grew up, and though it wasn't a horrible movie, so much about it felt off and only the specific references from the books reminded me: wait, I'm watching a Diary of A Wimpy Kid movie... Yet even then, this movie was had SO LITTLE of Rowley and no other iconic DoaWK characters were present.

Rating: 5.3/10