Coming Home

Coming Home β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

🌟🌟Added to Why I Love East Asian Cinema list🌟🌟

Damn, man...damn! πŸ˜’πŸ’”

In a nutshell, Coming Home is about a devoted husband and father who becomes a political prisoner during the Cultural Revolution. When he returns years later, he discovers that his wife--who continues to wait for him--doesn't recognize him...

I defy you to find another movie with a more restrained portrayal of the enduring power of love than this!

Zhang Yimou does an excellent job of capturing the nuances of devotion as it crashes against despair in ways that are incredibly tender but also inevitably soul-crushing.

My boo Gong Li (Feng/wife) and Chen Daoming (Lu/husband) elevate the material by delivering subdued performances that effectively communicate intimacy, desperation, and longing. Zhang Huiwen also did a great job in her film debut as the daughter Dan Dan, who plays an important role in initially acting as a wedge between her parents as a youth but, over time, attempts to be a part of the healing process.

This is a powerful love story that cuts deep. It hurts. The more you sit with the implications of it (given the great passage of time from beginning to end), the more it stings. Even so, it's well worth a watch.

Sin liked these reviews