Cowboy Bebop

Cowboy Bebop ★★★★★

"Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils."

This is the kind of magic that every artist and writer dreams of making. Genre-bending (who else can say they're a sci-fi western noir about a ragtag group of bandits who become a lovable found family?), artistically astounding (the smooth animation in the fights and the spaceships taking off! the score that contains jazz, bluegrass, swing, heavy metal, and electro!), and philosophical (reflections on human existence, how to cope with grief, how to find love in the people close to you, how social orders and institutions will ostracize and damage people for profit), Cowboy Bebop is a marvel to watch. It's also more wonderful since it champions the outcasts, the outlaws, and the so-called criminals, and we realize that they are simply criminals for daring to forge their own lives, regardless of what laws and social institutions strictly dictate for them. It's quite wonderful to watch them live life on their own terms, because deep down, that's something we all deeply want for our own lives.

Kat liked these reviews