Frozen II

And who has a better story, than Anna the Broken?

Ugh, I went into this movie with an open mind and halfway through I was like "yeah, I probably won't enjoy the rest of it." For the record, I was one of the people who thought Frozen was okay. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. So I was pretty neutral going into Frozen II. And what better way to start a movie than with a flashback within a flashback to exposition something never referenced in the first movie?

The songs didn't feel as good this time around. On Frozen there were a good four songs or so that were stand outs including Let It Go. This time I think Into the Unknown is the only standout and even that pales in comparison to Do You Want to Build a Snowman. Kristoff's song is the absolute worst, the whole number is done in the style of a love ballad music video which completely ruins the aesthetic of the movie as a whole by feeling so out of place. Not to mention that a portion of this "music video" is archive footage from the first Frozen. Which leads me to the worst part of this movie.

The worst part. The absolute worst part is how much of this movie is "Remember Frozen!?!?" Featuring: multiple characters saying "fuck Hans," Olaf acting out the entire plot of the first movie, Elsa cringing at herself singing Let It Go. We get it!! Make something new! You are telling the audience that you don't really care about this movie if you need to keep reminding them how much they loved the first movie.

I don't know how they could screw up an adventure story since that is basically what the first Frozen movie is; this one felt more like slideshow story telling. It's supposed to feel like this grand adventure but it was more like "now we are in the location. And now we are in this one. Let's split up." I get the feeling that the writers didn't actually have a story to tell like they did with the first one and it was only because the Overlord Mouse decreed a sequel for one of their most successful animated movies.

I would make a plea like I did with The Lion King to not see this movie as all it does is give Disney money for making the bare minimum of a movie in an attempt to capture people's nostalgia. But based on how Lion King did at the box office and the projection numbers for Frozen II it won't matter what I tell you. Just know that this is a shit movie.

P.S. Forgive my adult language of this review of a kid's movie.

Rob liked this review