The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl ★★★½

(7/8 is "Very Good")
The subject is a fascinating woman... daring, empowered, artistic - fascinated with the forms of people and sea creatures - and potentially fascist.

To start with, the idea that merely idolizing the human form is fascistic seems to me utter nonsense. A fascination with the human form exists in vastly varying cultures and times, and I cannot accept that the Nazis have "cornered the market" (so to speak). Infact I refuse.

As to what extent she believes in Nazi ideals is difficult to say, and really can never be conclusively answered. I think people will have to decide for themselves.

As to regarding the film making of this documentary, it difficult for it to go wrong. Leni's film history is captivating - her eye for composition is really masterful, and her variety of talents and dedication is almost unbelievable. Her shots, and her analysis of those shots, sell the film. But the handling of Leni is also quite admirable - I think it does well to point out the key questions, her statements, and the potential contradictions to her perspective - and then leave it for you to decide for yourself.

The only real pitfall of the film is the unfortunate contrast between the competence of Leni and Muller's footage. While the cinematography of this documentary would be perfectly fine anywhere else, it can do nothing but drag down the building height of the film when it is cut with Leni's.

I must conclude that this is the best film I've seen so far which examines a single creator's body of work. Dangerous?