Hereditary

Hereditary ★★★★★

Horror changed my life and for the better. There was a time when I feared to watch horror and a time when it helped heal some wounds. I consume horror movies pretty much religiously but for some reason I knew I was in trouble with Hereditary. I was right because for the first time in what seemed like forever I was actually scared to watch this because I knew it was going to showcase some demons.

Hereditary broke me and I’m not okay. I’m typing this with shaking hands and tears falling down. It scared the hell out of me and left a pretty big mental scar. I’m overwhelmed and need to process it all. I never expected to cry as much during a horror movie but here we are. A part of these tears come from pure fear and the other is in its depiction of family dysfunction. I could see mirrors of my own life filled with grief, regrets, and family dysfunctions manifesting into its worst form. It all got to me.

Ari Aster is a mastermind. He’s crafted something so truly unique and terrifying that is sure to haunt past our very own days. Hereditary reminds us why horror is such a powerful genre and also why we must demand so much from it.

Toni Collette both started and ended all awards contenders with this film. She’s that good.

SlasherReviews liked these reviews