3 Women

3 Women ★★★★

The third part of a loose Robert Altman trilogy that also includes That Cold Day in the Park and Images. 3 Women is a meandering and mysterious tale focusing on a strange young girl who starts a job at a swimming pool, before becoming infatuated with one of the other workers. The film picks up on a number of themes; mainly identity as the focus on the characters leads to them changing traits with one another. This is the first time I've seen this film and I'm quite sure there are things here that I didn't pick up on. 3 Women is a real slow burn and the atmosphere is constantly dreamy and surreal; the sun baked Californian desert makes for an excellent backdrop and the film benefits from a pair of superb performances from Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall. The film has been compared to the likes of Mulholland Dr and the comparison seems apt - it leaves you with a similar feeling of contentment and confusion at the end! There's plenty of interest all the way through - the interplay between the characters mainly along with other oddments such as the pregnant artist who paints weird reptilian murals on the bottom of swimming pools. It's most likely a film that requires multiple viewings to really appreciate; but certainly an absorbing experience.

Slig001 liked these reviews