The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

This movie rocks!

Every once and awhile a film comes along that just hits certain viewers at the core of who they are as a person. When this happens there is an immediate connection regardless of any flaws that might appear to the less invested viewer. This is definitely the case for me with The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

Michael Rianda's newest animated film (produced by Lord/Miller) is bright, loud, filled with pop-culture references, colorful animation, and heartwarming moments of family togetherness.

The film is about college-bound Katie longing to leave her family only to find the entire family bound together upon the start of the robot uprising. Even when hitting such predictable story beats surrounding family dynamics, Rianda does so in ways that are surprising, comedic, and filled with joy. Scene after scene contained moments that made me smile, laugh out loud, or tear up. I am in no way like Katie's dad, Rick and I never was nor will be as cool as Katie, but these are my people. They are quirky, odd, love movies, dinosaurs, and family road trips (sort of). Even if my family dynamics might be different, the film totally understands what family means and does so in that thrilling way.

Now, I am not sure if I totally believe the films authenticity about big tech especially when it is produced by Sony and the film drags slightly in the middle (there was a point in which I thought the climax was upcoming only to pause and see over 45 minutes left.) However, those moments of joy, the beautiful animation, and the togetherness of family make this one of the best movies of the year. A huge recommend and one I think will definitely leave you smiling.

8/10