The Color Wheel ★★½

I had a mini-Alex Ross Perry binge this weekend, purely by accident. I felt like watching a movie, didn't have a ton of time and my eyes were tired so I wasn't about the whole subtitle thing. So The Color Wheel it was.

A woman recruits her brother to help her move out of her apartment after her live-in boyfriend (and college professor) dumps her. The mini-road trip is both maddening and challenging, as the siblings revisit old wounds and threaten to create new ones.

It took me a little bit of time to get into this one - it felt a little film schooly to me at first, and JR is a truly unsympathetic character for the most part. It was actually Alex Ross Perry himself that drew me in, even though his dialogue was probably the most improbably rapid-fire hipster out of everyone's. I don't know, there was something about The Color Wheel that I liked and I was engaged... and then the truly WTF moment at the end happened and I just didn't even know what to think. But I'll admit it - I like movies that challenge, and I like puzzling over why I do or don't like something when it's not immediately apparent. So while this wasn't an amazing film by any stretch, I put it in the positive column.