The Danish Girl ★★

Tom Hooper has done it again and I don't mean that in a good way.

If it weren't for Alicia Vikander's outstanding performance I would have probably walked out of my screening.

I'm not a fan of Tom Hooper. The King's Speech is perhaps the biggest Oscar-Bait film ever made. However, I was very excited for The Danish Girl for a few reasons. Alicia Vikander being the number one reason. I was also very impressed with Eddie Redmayne's performance in The Theory of Everything, so I was very interested to see what he could do with this role. And then the trailer sold me on the film. I really bought into it. So despite me not caring for Tom Hooper's films, I thought The Danish Girl could change my mind about Mr. Hooper as a director.

Eddie Redmayne just couldn't get into the role. It was an incredibly difficult performance to pull off and he failed. In all honesty his performance was borderline cringeworthy. Vikander was giving so much effort and Redmayne just fell so flat. There was absolutely no passion whatsoever. I can't totally rip on Eddie because I don't think there are many actors who could have pulled this role off. He also wasn't exactly given a whole lot to work with. This movie is as standard and by the book as it gets.

Steve Jobs is one of the best biopics I've seen in recent time and that's because it's pretty much the exact opposite of The Danish Girl. Sure, the subject matter is completely different. However, Steve Jobs could have been a standard boring biopic about a man who invented a computer, but it was exciting, passionate and incredibly energetic. Michael Fassbender poured his heart and soul into the role, where I feel Eddie Redmayne went through the motions. I believed Alicia's character and I felt her struggles, but that was not the case for Eddie. He's the character I should have felt for the most, but I just didn't give a shit. The Danish Girl didn't have to be boring or uninteresting, but that's the way Tom Hooper made it. Which really isn't all that surprising. He did make The King's Speech...

Evan liked these reviews