The French Dispatch

The French Dispatch ★★★½

Even Wes Anderson’s weakest film is still pretty good!

The fact this was an anthology movie is it’s biggest weakness for me personally. Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors and I love to get immersed into all of the creative worlds within each of his films. Since this is 3 short films in one movie; I really wasn’t able to immerse myself into the worlds Anderson creates as much as I would have liked because all 3 stories are separate and unrelated to each other. New settings, actors, and stories for each short.

MVPs: Benicio Del Toro, Lea Seydoux, and Adrien Brody. All 3 stared in the same short film, which was by far my favorite.

Going in I had no idea this was an anthology movie. I'm not the biggest fan of that type of format when it comes to a film. So from that standpoint I found The French Dispatch to be a little disappointing. Again, that just boils down to a personal preference. Everything looks great and is a real treat to your eyes. Performances were all very good. I'd rank the short films in the exact order they were shown. 1 being my favorite and 3 being my least. Loved a lot moments all throughout the film. It just didn't totally work for me as a whole. Still overall quite enjoyable nonetheless!

Evan liked these reviews