Wetherby ★★★★★

Here Vanessa Redgrave emerges as the woman I think of when I think of her: mystical, gentle — alien-gray eyes protruding vacantly from a warm, formidably elegant face. Unblinking, bare, human.

What a torturous story... David Hare stitches together a blistering inquiry into values, lies, emotions and silence out of scraps of memory, a fabric of time. Resplendently filmed, its themes are evocative of films that would be made twenty years later... ahead of its time, so to speak — ironic, as its structure is delineated by the inescapability of what is past.

A masterpiece of contemplation — frank in its exploration of darkness, courageous in its faith in optimism... or is it desperate, this optimism? Redgrave’s vacancy of expression... is it merely my impression, my descriptive streak — or is there a constant escape being routed behind those silvery eyes? Surely not; Redgrave has proven herself time and again to be thoughtful, sensitive, courageous. Perhaps it is the nature of optimism that it appears foolish... to trust is to forgo defenses, and therefore requires more courage than anything else. Then that is Redgrave’s finest lesson: trust. Life is dangerous, and it will hurt... however, there is always more to be lived.