The Servant

The Servant ★★★★½

the hardest thing a person may ever do is form their own unique views and perspectives.

the Britain, where a social hierarchy is something that still, even today, plagues certain levels of our society, but it’s horrid past holds much more significance, acting as a portrait of times that must never be repeated.

a person can be one thing while another something totally different, but how, when hidden away in the confinement of ones own home, do differing personalities and, quite often, different people altogether, can people become differentiated?

the problem soon becomes that, when living with someone, whether or not you may consider them to be your staff or merely family, you will slowly merge together within their personalities, the boundaries that society places for you, ones that deem you trapped within a certain realm of possibilities, can be entirely broken down.

this doesn’t mean it breaks a natural order of things, nor does it cause disarray to what life SHOULD be. it, in fact, highlights the natural order of life, offering a way of viewing individuals in which creates equality between souls rather than basing relation upon material possession.

however, it is the damage that these sudden changes can truly do that creates the largest problems of all.

we live our lives thinking and expecting one simple straight road to be the one for us. there are no twists or turns, there are no trees lining it for offenders to knock us out on our root, we merely pass along and, any obstacle that does arise, merely feels as though it is part of the ride that we have been set upon.

but when this road is contorted, sharpened at its edges and curled to align with other roads, even merging with them, then our life, which may have seemed so formulaic, becomes a winding labyrinth of distress.

this course that our world places us on has set us within a false sense of security, it makes us believe that we are in one place and can only ever stay there, but when we are shown that this is not the case and, in fact, can and should have the chance to partake within any lifestyle we wish, psychological fractures begin to form.

we may lose who we are, we may begin to transform into someone else entirely, yet we will still be ourselves. the lack of restrictions that we face only shortens the gap between ourselves and others, but in this shortening, due to the engrained nature of competition on our minds, clashes occur, disastrous ones.

we are left to fall down an endless spiral into eternal conflict. whether this conflict is with ourselves or with another is somehow left perpetually ambiguous, but the pain remains the same. yet none of this lies as being our own faults…

so who is to blame?