The Neighbors' Window

The Neighbors' Window ★★

There's nothing new offered in this short film. At first I didn't believe it won an Oscar, then during watching this I thought it won an Oscar probably ten years ago, but after a quick fact-checking it did win in 2020 Academy Award. I read that the filmmaker was inspired by a true story told in a podcast. I wouldn't say it's not a heartwarming story.

But all I get from this is a message about how you should be grateful with what you have and what you think you know is not the truth at all and maybe the person you're jealous of is actually jealous of you! Facebook posts or a story in a podcast can convey those messages far much better. A Modern Family episode can tell a similar story with fresher perspective and without overused sentimental scene where there was a young man lying in his deathbed, by his young sad soon-to-be-widowed wife. Also the main characters' life is not that 'shaken' (as the short caption claims) if all they had to go through was that certain little fight about the unequal division of household tasks and how getting old is shitty. This scene? My family can do better.

This is a heartwarming story. I just don't think this short film is an award material.

Sorry I sound so salty, by no means I try to reduce the joy of the team receiving an Oscar.