Dragged Across Concrete ★★★★

“Do not prioritize money over having a heartbeat.”

I audibly said “yikes” several times throughout due to its ahem... interesting politics but besides that, S. Craig Zahler is continuing to make some stellar, brutal action/crime films with an indelible mean streak coursing throughout each frame. Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn are an oddly perfect pairing as two cops under fire after their volatile tactics are caught on camera and scrutinized by the media. The film clocks in at just about 2 and a half hours but thankfully, it didn’t feel like it at all. There are some prologined sequences of dialogue mostly set against one backdrop and while sometimes it got a little taxing, I never really felt like it deterred the overall film. It only really enhanced it.

The violence is often abrupt but never unearned but always aggressive and brutal. Speaking of, the main villain Black Gloves is absolutely horrifying. “Dragged Across Concrete” is an almost self explanatory title not only for the things these characters go through but also for how we as viewers will feel after the credits roll. It’s an abrasive, angry film but one that will stick with you long after it’s done just like the after effects if being dragged across a hard surface. It DEFINITELY won’t be for everyone, but those looking for a brutal action/crime film should look no further.