Fast Color ★★★

A superhero film for people who don’t like superhero films. Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Lorraine Toussant are excellent especially when they’re onscreen together. The direction is quite good and the screenplay matches up with it well enough though sometimes it leaves a bit to be desired in terms of story development. I wanted to see more of this world and the people with these powers. I just felt like it didn’t really take it’s interesting premise as far as it could have gone. The film looks great and there’s certainly not a lack of talent and vision, but I wanted to see more especially because that vision was there.

I too am upset that this movie barely got a theatrical release which in turn delivered poor box office results, but I can see how this would be hard to market especially since the trailer doesn’t really reflect nor show the movie properly but I’m still hoping this finds an audience on Blu-ray/DVD because it’s quite refreshingly different even if it’s not as impactful as I was hoping.

But let’s be honest here for a second. If this got a huge release would people actually have gone and paid to see this after so many of them on Twitter said they would have after those viral tweets about it? I know so many people love to complain that’s there’s no original films but when there actually are, the box office receipts prove that support is quite lacking despite the outcry for them. Anyway, now that I’ve been too cynical for my own good for the night, if you get the chance to check this out, still do it because it deserves the support.