Nocturnal Animals ★★★★½

"When you love someone you can't just throw it away."

Wow! What a ride! Nocturnal Animals is a thrilling, dark, savagely nasty thriller that had me hooked from opening to finish. It's a gritty, visceral thriller that is easily one of the biggest surprises of the year. Tom Ford clearly has an eye for style, (he is a fashion designer after all), and with Nocturnal Animals, he proves that he knows how direct the hell out of a film. This film has some of the most disturbing and haunting imagery i've seen in an film is quite some time. As soon as the film starts, and you know exactly what I'm talking about if you've seen the film, it just gets weirder and darker from then on out. The performances from everybody involved with this thing are all incredible. Amy Adams is of course fantastic and Jake Gyllenhaal continues his hot streak with another wonderful performance. Michael Shannon however, owns the screen playing the rugged cop. He's brilliant in his role and absolutely kills it. Another huge surprise was Aaron Taylor Johnson who absolutely nails it as a psychopath. He's creepy as hell and he gave me the creeps on more than one occasion. The script is very well written and balances the two overlapping stores very well. It's here that I must give a huge shoutout to the editor of this film. The editing fits perfectly with this film and it all flows so naturally together. I was never confused what was happening and I was always able to follow when it transitioned from one story to the other. It's a fantastic editing job and it would be downright criminal to not have this win the Oscar for best editing. Nocturnal Animals is most definitely not going to be for everyone, but if you like your films dark, nasty, cruel and creepy, you're sure to have a rollicking good time with this film.