Rocketman ★★★★

“People don’t pay to see Reg Dwight, they pay to see Elton John!”

“Rocketman” follows a lot of the similar trappings of musical biopics, but everything feels so different here. It’s such an imaginative film full of so much visual and emotional flair that seems to be missing from so many recent music biopics. This is all accomplished by Dexter Flecther’s lively direction, a screenplay that manages to hit all the right notes when delving into Elton John’s life and an absolutely staggering performance by Taron Egerton.

I’m not going to compare this movie to another certain one that came out last year, but just know that this movie is everything that one wanted to be but failed to do. “Rocketman” showcases a life of a very unique, flamboyant icon in all the correct ways by never diminishing those characteristics of the man and always embracing them to their fullest and the movie is better off because of it.

“Rocketman” is an energetic, entertaining blast of a movie. I always like Taron Egerton is basically everything he’s in but here he utterly blew me away. He’s a bonafide star. I sincerely hope his performance is not forgotten come Oscar time because he undoubtedly deserves a nomination. There are many other potential Oscar prospects within the film but I think one of the best things about the entire film is that it doesn’t seem to be trying to compete for any Oscar gold it’s just doing it effortlessly.