Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★★½

"Can't you just be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man"?

I had my doubts regarding Spider-Man Homecoming going into it. The trailers didn't impress me very much, just the thought of Sony controlling the Spider-Man property again was worrisome, and it really just looked like they were going to make Iron Man more prevalent in the film than he needed to be. But, after seeing the film all my doubts were mostly washed away and I had such a fun time with the film. Anybody who is feeling the superhero fatigue, I urge you to watch Spider-Man Homecoming because it is so deliriously entertaining and fun, you can't help but just get caught up in the movie and go along for the fun ride that it is.

Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man and Peter Parker that has been presented onscreen thus far and it'll be hard to beat him. Let's not have another incarnation of him again please, anyway. Tom Holland is the teenage Peter Parker that needed to happen since the beginning of the Spider-Man film and he feels so authentic in the role. You can tell he is having the time of his life portraying this character and I am glad that I was able to see him having so much in this role because he brought such charm and charisma to this role, it was an absolute pleasure to watch him.

My original fear of including Iron Man in the film was that he would be overused, but he was in the film just the right amount. He showed up when only needed and he didn't show up when it wasn't necessary. He was used in just the right amount of moderation and I'm very glad for that. Marvel is known for having some pretty weak villains but finally, with Michael Keaton's Vulture, we are presented with one of the strongest MCU villains to date. He is menacing and his motives are justified as to why he is a villain. Keaton brings his signature charm to the role and there's a scene in a limo with him and Peter that is absolutely nail bitingly intense to watch. That's all I'll say about it but you'll know exactly what it is when it happens.

The director Jon Watts has crafted a John Hughes esque Spider-Man film which is he best possible way that you could make a Spider-Man film. Watts seems to know this character very well and the tone that it needed to be not only similar to the comics, but to the character himself and that is where this film succeeds on all fronts. It knows it's character and it knows exactly how the character should be portrayed.

Spider-Man Homecoming is one of the standout films in the ever expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe because it feels so different from all the other films in this universe. It's one that I will be going back to for rewatches the most. It's deliriously entertaining, endlessly enjoyable and most importantly, it breathes new life into a character that has been overdone too many times. It's the best Spidey film in over a decade while also being one of the best films of 2017.

Spencer Kain liked this review